11 November 2008

Bienal- final thoughts

Today I have been back to the Bienal for the final time. Interestingly the most traditional work is my favourite. The collections of etchings by Leya Mira Brander (images to follow soon) which she describes as a 'periodic table' are shown in pale wooden specimen cases, the same uniform style of all of the Bienal furniture. I have seen her work elsewhere whilst I have been here, shown in a different way (wall hung- but still collated as if they are ideas on post it notes) and I preferred it then, but it is still my favourite work of the Bienal. Whether this is because I love the formalities of the technique- black and white and reliant on drawing- I am not sure. I do definately enjoy the fact that there printmaking is included in this year's Bienal; traditionally processed but with a fresh and unique understanding of the power of a repeated image.

If we are to measure success on popularity, there can be no doubt that Carsten Holler's slide (similar to that installed in Tate Modern's Turbine Hall) was a crowd pleaser. The work is a welcome relief from the library/reading room atmosphere of the Bienal- I'm sure the curators intended it as such.

No comments: