13 November 2008




I travel to Rio today. I am ready to leave Sao Paulo after three weeks here, so that I can come back and see it with fresh eyes. At times I have felt so tired in this city, it is so huge and overwhelming to constantly have buildings tower over you. I think the pollution may have been making me weary, although I think I am more used to it now. On days when I had no specific plan or area to walk to I got very frustrated, particularly as to flaneur without agenda is my favourite thing to do in cities. It was often difficult just to find somewhere to sit and draw- I kept walking towards good views only to lose them behind another jutting rectangle. The only way to keep a hold of my experience has been to enjoy pockets of the city, to revisit spots that were good for drawing and explore the areas I like in more depth. It is time to move on. I am looking forward to coming back to translate Sampa´s concrete poetry after a break on the beach making settlements.

No comments: